Friday, August 3, 2007

Artists On The Rise

I've been an avid underground music fan for quite some time now. But with each sweet discovery of mine, in a matter of months/sometimes a year or two, artists and bands that have long existed even before I became interested, are becoming increasingly mainstream. While I'm glad they are receiving the much deserved recognition, I find myself becoming jealous that they are no longer precious secrets I turn to when the mainstream music world isn't working for me. Here are a few artists I've harbored to myself that are gaining serious play time on TV/Radio:

Feist - The native Canadian Leslie Feist can make you sob like a two year old with "Let it die" or make you happy-go-lucky in "Mushaboom" Her latest single "1234" can be heard on VH1's You Oughta Know segments.

Sia - This kukoo Australia native can be a slew of genres and still keep her fans hanging on. In her slow jam "Breathe Me" she tells a story of a lost soul while in "Pictures," she keeps a giddy beat to a sad love tune. Her latest song "Buttons" was featured on PerezHilton.com and garnered several new fans, increasing her popularity overall.

A Fine Frenzy - Frighteningly beautiful Seattle native 22 year old Alison Sudol creates "hypnotic piano arrangements under classic American melody fused into irresistible, atmospheric songs". "Almost Lover" (a favorite of mine) has also been featured on VH1 You Oughta Know segments.

No comments: